Ok, so it turns out that we got the dates all mixed up and the quinceaƱera is next weekend!!!! Although, it was a pretty good job because Becky got ill again on thursday! I ended up in Las Laderas by myself, not knowing what to expect this time I was on my own. But it turned into a fantastic day. Manuel didn´t want me to be on my own, so I stayed in the soup kitchens and helped out there. But before getting started, we all sat down and had a cup of tea and bite to eat and the conversation slowly progressed into Peruvian politics!! I also met a girl called Sophia, a 24 year old from Quebec who´s lovely and speaks to me in Spanish, regardless of the fact that she know´s I can speak English...which is great as it keeps everyone involved! She was telling me about all the places she´s travelled to and that this was her third time in Peru..basically a very interesting girl! Anyway after half an hour, we got to work and I was kept incredibly busy for the rest of the morning. I met Yennie, a 26 year old Peruvian girl, who kept me under her wing for the rest of the morning and made me laugh loads..she filled me in on her ambitions and made me tell her all about england, english boys, english food, music..everything! Afterwards, I helped chop up more veg, peel, wash up, stir, serve..and got to know more of the ladies working there. It felt great working with the people I did, everyone was so open, friendly and easy going.. I felt comfortable and more confident speaking in spanish in no time. After that was over, we ate lunch which overran as we got lost in conversation once again! I came back to the refuge later then normal but felt as if I´d achieved a lot that morning.
Thursday got better and better as once I´d come back to the refuge, I got greeted by four more girls who´d just come for the day in the midst of all their travels. They were all our age and it was so interesting talking to them as they´d been travelling south america and were on their way to argentina and Brazil from then on..they kept filling us in on all their adventures. We had a football match with the kids again and then sat down and all chatted and it turned out Hazel, one of the girls, could sing really well and the kids went crazy when she started singing perdoname by la factoria lol!
Friday bought on a completely different feel as this time when we went to Las Laderas, it was Christine´s last day. So Rosita said she´d take us round Las Laderas to see the places where some of the kids had come from. It was such an emotional morning...just makes me feel sick to think about what we got told and what we saw. Las Laderas slums seem to go on for miles and miles back and back..it´s absolutely huge. And the ´houses´ are in such terrible condition, inside and out. We definitely weren´t expecting it. And it´s even harder as it´s a life which is impossible to comprehend unless you´ve lived that way. I can´t go into a lot of detail as I´ve got to head of now..gr!
Anyway I´ll hopefully get on again at some point this week. Hope everyone is okay, lots of love. Nikixxxxxxxx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment